H3N2 influenza is spreading a lot across the country and its cases are increasing rapidly. Do you know influenza viruses are stated to circulate from pigs to humans? The influenza flu is called a variant virus and hence it is found in humans. H3N2v viruses which are variant viruses and also termed Influenza A H3N2 along with Matrix (M) gene H1 N1 pandemic from 2009 were first detected in the year 2011. In 2010, these viruses were first detected in U.S. Pigs. While in humans, such a virus was found in the year 2011 and 2012. Approximately 309 cases were reported in the year 2012, which was an outbreak of the H3N2v virus.
Different Names of H3N2 Names
H3N2 is also named H3N2v which is a type of virus that circulated in pigs and is known as the “swine influenza virus.” In 2011, it was declared that 12 individuals were suffering from this kind of virus. When swine influenza viruses are detected in humans then it is termed “variant” viruses.
- You must have heard of the Influenza A virus, H3N2 is a subtype of the mentioned virus. Also, it is known that these viruses are seasonal epidemics which cause severe diseases in humans.
- In India, also several cases are seen in humans who are suffering from the H3N2 influenza virus. This kind of virus circulates from the pigs to human beings.
- Another point to note about H3N2 is that it usually spreads from one human to another.
- If you are not aware of its symptoms, then try to keep in mind if you observe seasonal flu conditions, then it might be possible to suffer from the H3N2 influenza virus.
- H3N2 is also called with a new name of “Hong Kong Flu.” In such kinds of pandemic viruses, people suffer from respiratory issues.
- It is a special type of Influenza A virus.
- Currently, there is no lead with the vaccination of H3N2 infection. The technical persons are working on the development of the vaccine but still, there is no lead in the production of the vaccine to date as per the statement given by the CDC.
- The vaccinations injected for seasonal flu cases will not be able to cure the H3N2v virus.
Also Read: CAN YOU DIE FROM LOW POTASSIUM? A GUIDE TO HYPOKALEMIA
What are the Subtypes of Influenza A Viruses?
People are confused between Influenza A or B and H3N2 which type of virus. To answer this question, we should understand about the subtypes of the H3N2 influenza virus.
The subtypes of such viruses can be determined with the help of a combination of HA, NA, and the proteins available on the surface of the respective virus. With the term HA and NA, we mean hemagglutinin and neuraminidase respectively. Nowadays, a virus is circulating in humans which is the subtype A known as H1N1 and other is A(H3N2) viruses.
Duration of H3N2 Influenza Virus
If you are not aware of the duration and how long will you suffer from this influenza virus, then we are here to help you out. Earlier, it was known that this kind of flu was spread in the year 1918 to 1920. At that time, a large number of deaths were calculated which was approximately 550,000 in the U.S. from the duration 1918 to 1919, especially in the spring season. While as per reports, the death number is around 20 million happened across the world. The government has decided to isolate the people in hospitals for their proper care from a such contagious illness.
Also Read: Dr. Glaucomflecken: An Ophthalmologist Satire on the Medical World
Is It Possible to Cure H3N2 Influenza Virus in Humans?
Yes, absolutely it is a kind of flu virus which can be treated successfully. The treatment is similar to other seasonal flu and can be cured for both adults as well as children.
Nowadays, the doctors are prescribing medications like oseltamivir, peramivir, zanamivir and baloxavir which are easily available in the market. The mentioned medicine names are anti-viral medications which are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat patients with critical flu conditions. Always try to take such drugs under the supervision of your doctor.
What are the Symptoms of the H3N2 Influenza Virus?
The symptoms of this influenza virus are similar to the common cold and flu which occur in seasonal duration. In such circumstances, an individual can suffer from high fever, respiratory issues, runny nose, body pain, dry cough, vomiting, headache, diarrhoea, and nausea.
- Cough: In such kind of virus, an individual will have cough issues for a longer period. In case, you are observing dry cough and pain in your throat then it is possibly a case of the H3N2 virus.
- Chills and fever: At the initiation of this virus, you can feel some chills and thundering in your body which can be treated by taking anti-allergy medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Runny Nose: It is quite possible that you can suffer from a runny nose in the H3N2 virus case.
- Sore throat: Other symptoms are pain in the throat, heavy voice, and swelling in the throat. If you are observing any of such pains then it is possible that you are suffering from the H3N2 influenza virus.
- Headache and Body Pain: You will feel upset as of body aches and headaches all over the day. This is also observed in seasonal flu and hence it can be cured with medicines.
- Vomiting: In some cases, people are not good to take food as of vomiting. Other symptoms that included H3N2 are fatigue, diarrhoea and nausea.
Also Read: How to Treat and Prevent Urogenital Flora Infections in Women? Is Probiotics Helpful?
IS H3N2 Dangerous and a Serious Problem?
· In India, the records say that two individuals have lost their lives because of the H3N2 influenza virus.
· Mostly, the problems are seen in younger children who are below 5 years of age and older adults 65 plus a number of their age.
· Thus, we can say it is a problematic and serious cause for children and old age people.
· H3N2 influenza virus can be transmitted from one person to another easily. Thus, it is called to be a contagious virus.
· People who are suffering from H3N2 can transmit it to another by their saliva, sneezing, coughing, or even talking.
· If a surface contains the virus and any individual comes in contact with that respective surface then also, there are chances of spreading the H3N2 influenza virus.
· The individuals who are less immune need to follow the COVID protocol because it is the time to warn themselves to stay safe. Because, as per the doctor’s advice such viruses are harmful to people with less immunity and old age people.
Also Read: Headaches After Covid : The After-Effects of the Pandemic
How H3N2 can be Prevented from Spreading?
It is important to follow the COVID rules and regulations as stated by the government.
· In the last two years, we have learnt a lot avoid to going to places which are crowded as it is the major spot for spreading the H3N2 virus.
· Another important point that we should keep in our mind is to wear a mask to prevent ourselves from entering such particles through the nose or mouth.
· The next point is to wash our hands properly after a certain interval of time properly using soap and water.
· Try not to touch your face, and mouth with dirty hands when roaming outside in public.
· Try to take influenza flu vaccination from your doctor timely.
IMA Cautionary Note on H3N2 Influenza Virus
IMA whose full form is, “The Indian Medical Association,” has issued a cautionary note publicly. The note is a concern for the doctors as well as the pharmacists. The IMA has conveyed that antibiotics should be avoided in the prescription for people who are suffering from the H3N2 virus. Nowadays, individuals take antibiotics on their own. Some of the names are Azithromycin and Amoxiclav and much more without any advice from doctors. They keep on taking the antibiotics till the time they feel good. While such processes can limit the resistance power of a person and will not work after a certain period of time.
Related: Is There Any Interference Between Methotrexate and Covid Vaccine?
What drugs are used to treat the H3N2 virus in kids and adults?
· The H3N2 patients have been prescribed a drug called “Oseltamivir” which is successful in treating the influenza virus in children as well as adults.
· Try to complete the course as prescribed by your doctor to overcome and beat this virus.
· There are cases when people have improved from such a virus within 5 to 7 days on their own.
Must Read: How Many Ribs Does a Human Have – Difference Between Male and Female Ribs
Intake of Food to Treat H3N2 Influenza Virus
· Intake of warm water can help to free from H3N2 Virus
Patients should try to sip hot or warm water as much as they can. This can help H3N2 patients to deal with the flu. Whenever you are having seasonal flu, try to skip heavy meals, oily food, spicy food, and chilled items. Rice and soups are good options to take in such circumstances because it is easy to digest. You can have rice in the form of porridge for better digestion.
· Dry ginger and coriander seeds with water
In a container, try to take a litre of water and boil it with an inch of dry ginger and one tablespoon of coriander seeds. This will relieve you from a sore throat as well as headaches occurred as of the flu infection.
· Gargle using Triphala
Another way to treat the H3N2 virus is by boiling half a tablespoon of Triphala powder in two glasses of water. Boil the mixture till it is reduced to one glass. Now, use rock salt and add a pinch of it to the mixture. Try to gargle with this mixture to cure the H3N2 influenza virus as stated by Dr John.
· Ghee and Cloves can do wonders
Take some cloves and heat it in one tablespoon of ghee. Once the mixture is heated, try to strain it. Once the mixture is cool down, try to have it. This can give some relief from the infection. When cloves are heated, it releases the oil which will mix with the ghee. The final mixture will work as a natural soother and helps to cure the problem in your throat, cough, cold and sinus. This remedy is completely safe for kids as well as adults.
· Make a bundle of ajwain (carrom seeds)
Another way to treat the flu infection is by taking a few amounts of carrom seeds in a cloth and making a bundle. Then try to heat the bundle on tawa or use a microwave for 4 to 5 minutes. Then place this bundle in between your eyebrows, chest, neck, and nose to get some relief from flu infection.
Important Steps to Take – H3N2 Prevention
· Do not skip your annual flu vaccination.
· Wearing a mask can help you in protecting yourself from such seasonal flu.
· Washing hands is another important step which should be followed seriously.
· Lots of intake of water.
· Do not touch your mouth, nose, or eyes with dirty hands.
· Avoid roaming in crowded places.
· Avoid contacting people who are not well.
I hope, now you are all clear with the H3N2 symptoms, causes, and treatment in detail. It is good to take the antiviral drugs after meeting with your doctor and under his supervision. H3N2 is spreading with many cases recently which is a major concern for kids as well as old people. Therefore, it is important to follow the steps as guided above to prevent ourselves from getting an infection. The symptoms of H3N2 are similar to that of common or seasonal flu. While it is advisable to take rest and meet your doctor immediately if you observe any of the mentioned symptoms. The doctor will guide you and help to get relief from such pain in the throat, headache, body aches and much more. Apart from allopathic medications, you can follow some home remedies as discussed in the above points. Home remedies like ginger, gargling with salt water, usage of clove, and honey are some of the important steps that can be taken at home itself. Such ingredients will help you to provide little relief from sore throat and pain. So, it is good to meet a doctor before the problem gets worse.
Also Read: 5 Health Conditions That Cause Heart Damage or Weakening of the Heart