Homeowners in New Jersey take great pride in their homes. This is especially evident during the holidays when people go all out with festive decorations. While Santa Clauses and snowmen may bring a smile to your face, outdoor lights are what really make a house stand out. Not only do they add curb appeal, but they also make your home safer and more secure.
Outdoor lights can add beauty, safety and security. But before you go out and buy new fixtures, it’s important to understand the different types of outdoor lighting and how to best use them. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Decide on what type of lighting you need
Are you trying to increase security? Illuminate a dark area? Or simply add some festive flare? Once you know the purpose, you can narrow down your options. Outdoor lights can be used for different purposes, such as security, accenting your home’s architecture or providing festive holiday decorations.
Different types of Outdoor Lights for your needs
- Security: Outdoor lights with motion sensors will automatically turn on when someone walks by, making your home less inviting to burglars. Considering most burglaries happen at night, this is a great way to deter criminals.
- Accent lighting: Up lights and down lights can highlight different features of your home’s architecture, such as the columns on your porch or the gables on your roof. This type of lighting is also a great way to add ambiance to your outdoor living space.
- Holiday lights: From string lights to inflatable decorations, there are endless possibilities when it comes to spreading holiday cheer. Outdoor lights are the perfect way to add some extra festivity to your home.
- Safety: Make sure to get Outdoor Lights that are specifically designed for use outside. Indoor lights can overheat and start fires, so it’s important to use the right type of light for your needs.
2. Consider the different types of Outdoor Lighting available in the market
There are three main types of Outdoor Lights: solar, LED and electric. All three have their own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to choose the right one for your needs.
- Solar Outdoor Lights: Because they are solar-powered, solar lights are a fantastic environmentally beneficial choice. Since there is no need for wiring, they are very simple to install. Solar lights might need to be replaced more frequently and may not be as bright as electric lights.
- LED Outdoor Lights: LED lights are a newer technology that is becoming increasingly popular. They’re more energy-efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs and they last longer, making them a great investment. LED lights are available in a variety of colors, so you can find the perfect shade to complement your home.
- Electric Outdoor Lights: Electric lights are the most common type of outdoor lighting. They’re plugged into an outlet, so they’re easy to install. Electric lights are also very versatile since they come in a variety of styles, including floodlights, spotlights and string lights. However, electric lights can be more expensive to operate than solar or LED lights.
3. Opt for Outdoor Lights that are specifically designed for outside use.
Make sure to buy Outdoor Lights that are specifically designed for outdoor use. Indoor lights can overheat and start fires, so it’s important to use the Outdoor Lights that are meant to be used outside.
Lights the you need to watch out for:
- Lava lamps: This type of light is not meant to be left on for more than a few hours at a time.
- String lights: Be sure to check the string lights before you buy them to make sure they are intended for outdoor use.
- Paper lanterns: Paper lanterns can be a fire hazard if not used properly.
- Holiday Lights: Some holiday lights are made for indoor or outdoor use, while others are made specifically for one or the other. Be sure to check the label before you buy.
Once you’ve selected the perfect Outdoor Lights for your home, it’s time to install them. If you’re not comfortable doing electrical work, it’s best to hire a professional such as Blingle! in North Jersey. If you are looking for professionals who are efficient and knowledgeable in installing Outdoor Lights then you might want to opt for their services.
However, if you’re handy and have some experience with electrical work, you can probably handle the installation yourself. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully and take all necessary safety precautions.
5. Consider where you want to place the Outdoor Lights.
This will help you decide how bright you need the light to be and how easy it needs to be to install.
Most outdoor lights are installed in one of three ways:
- Surface-mounted lights are the easiest to install but can be more difficult to aim.
- Recessed lights offer a more subtle look but can be tricky to install.
- Post lights require a little more work to set up but are great for illuminating walkways and gardens.
Once you have your Outdoor Lights, take some time to experiment with different placement and angles before you settle on the final look. You may find that you need brighter lights in some areas and softer lights in others. It’s also important to consider how the light will look at different times of day and in different weather conditions.
Finally, don’t forget to maintain your outdoor lights on a regular basis. This includes cleaning the fixtures and replacing bulbs as needed. By taking good care of your outdoor lights, you’ll be able to enjoy them for many years to come. By following these tips, you can enjoy the beauty and benefits of outdoor lighting without any hassle.